The Village Green dates from c.1660 and was the setting for the sale of animals at fairs in bygone days. The triangular shape was common to many Irish villages. During the 1798 rebellion, it was the scene of an atrocity when at least 36 prisoners were shot here as suspected United Irishmen on 24th May.
The Celtic cross monument was erected to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Dunlavin massacre. The smaller monument was unveiled on the bicentennial of the atrocity and remembers those executed both at the Market House and on the Village Green. Monuments were also erected in St. Nicholas of Myra chapel and at Tournant cemetery where the men were interred.